[aprssig] Re: WB4APR Comments on SYMBOL tables
bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Dec 7 15:20:36 CST 2004
And another symbol comment I left off:
The SHUTTLE should not have its external tanks.
sinec they only last for 2 minutes. The rest of the
times it is doing HAM radio it just has wings.. Bob
>>> Robert Bruninga 12/7/04 11:05:47 AM >>>
More on symbols:
>>> "Stephen H. Smith" <WA8LMF2 at aol.com> 12/6/04 5:26:06 PM >>>
>You can see my current symbol assingnments at:
Here are some comments I see on the individual symbols themselves:
I) In general there is inconsistency in the direction the mobiles
are pointed. If they are fixed and dont point in azimuth, then
they should all point the same way. And in general, most
APRS users are "right-to-left" thinking, so I think the fixed
oriented ones should all point to the right. (though, I would
welcome user software that would flip the pixels left-to-right
if they have a heading to the west)...
II) OK, I did an exhaustive comparison of every symbol and here
are my comments. These are based on the best interpretation
of what the symbol was supposed to convey at the time the
symbol was created and most versatile use:
1) Make Scouting symbol look more like the Tenddrfoot
Fleur-de-lis and make it gold
2) Your motorcycle is shown as a jeep? /<
3) Make the Eyeball bigger (if possible) and/or
give it eyelashes to help expand it
4) Id make the little red school house bigger and
with a door and a bell on the roof. It looks like
just a simple house now.
5) Make the on-line PC have the letters PC in the monitor /L
(or maybe IS for Internet System? but PC would have
( more uses...)
6) Can you add rabbit ears to the TV? /T
7) **** I propose an APRS SPEC change since PBBS's
and BBS's are basically the same and we have more
use for your MAIL symbol than we do for PBBS***
So keep your symobl and I will propose a change to
the spec. (*** SEE NOTE IN NEXT EMAIL***)
8) The hang-glider is different from my hang glier which
was a top down view of a colorful wedge shaped wing
and would point in the direction of travel. Maybe if you
made the hanging man a little smaller, it would look
more like a glider?
9) The Mic-E repeater needs a symbol /m which was
originally the small letters MIC vertically to look thin
like a tall antenna
10) THe 18 wheeler truck looks very good and to scale
but makes it too thin and small. I'd shorten and
fatten it a bit to make it bigger & more visible /u
11) The VAN symbol looks more like a panel truck.
I'd round off the back /v
12) The /z symbol is TBD, but the symbol you show
is good for the alt \z table Shelter
1) \/ should be an overlayable red dot for numbered waypoints
2) The \C Coast Guard "CG" is OK, but mine is the more
graphically interesting Orange Life Ring with the white
rope around it.
3) The \O should be a rocket
4) The \a diamond should be larger, be blue, and overlayable with
a central character and also have a white filled big circle around
5) The \c shape is good, but the coloring should look more like the
1950's Civil Defense symbol, that is, the background circle is
the triangle white and be overlayable.
6) Id make the HAM store be more of a store-front than a house.
Maybe a rectangle with the "HAM" in a sign across the top
like an window front store with a sign wall-to-wall across above
7) I like your Box-n symbol, but make it a square instead of
a house shape \i and leave room for overlay
8) The \k is now an SUV
9) The \u is supposed to be an overlayable truck. THink
of a BOX STEP-VAN kind of truck with a large side
surface for the overlay character. Your existing
/v van symbol would do if you made it slightly taller and
reduced the size of the cab a pixel
10) The \v is supposed to be an overlayable VAN. see #9,
but somehow make them slightly different.
11) For the \z ... use symbol you now have for the /z with
rooom for overlay...
Thanks! This is the most exhaustive comparison I have
ever had the time to do before. I am glad we are doing this.
>From this exercise, I also have to make 6 changes
in my symbols to better match yours, so there is plenty
of work to be done....
More information about the aprssig