[aprssig] Re: Balloon Altitude (was Clipped menusinXastirandother ?'s)

Larry Cerney lcerney at viawest.net
Mon Dec 13 19:34:39 UTC 2004

On 12/13/04 at 10:48 AM Larry Cerney <lcerney at viawest.net> sent:

>O.K. I understand all you are saying.  I checked the raw data from 1400
>hours ago and it appears to be the data from my balloon flight yesterday.
>So, it looks to me like somewhere along the line the date stamping has an
>error in it.
Are we talking about the balloon AE0SS-11 yesterday that I listed the URLs
for,or did you also fly a balloon with the callsign K0ANI-11 yesterday?
[Larry Cerney] Yes, K0ANI-11 did fly on the same balloon as AE0SS-11.  I did
chase the balloon with position packets from K0ANI-11.  I did hear reports
from a couple of local Hams that the signal strength on K0ANI-11 was very
low.  So, while I was able to receive them well while I was within ~20 miles
of the payload or so it is possible that the I-gate that was to track my
payload couldn't hear it.

If so, none of those packets made it to findU.com. I also checked with
to make sure it isn't a problem with findU, and the last packet Jim has from
K0ANI-11 is October 15, even earlier than findU has. Unless Jim and I have
exactly the same bug, which is quite unlikely, no data from K0ANI-11 made it
tothe APRS IS yesterday!

>So it seems that FindU might have been receiving data with a date stamp
1400hours slow, possibly from K0YG-7.
No, findU ignores timestamps on the packets, it uses the time a packet is
received from the APRS IS. These packets were indeed received 1394 hours
Did K0ANI-11 fly October 16?
[Larry Cerney] Yes, it did.  I now understand that the graph data I see with
the last=1400 to be from the last flight and not from yesterdays.

>No big deal now that I understand why I couldn't see yesterdays data with
You misunderstand, the reason is, if indeed K0ANI-11 flew yesterday, none of
data made it to the APRS-IS, and therefore no data is archived on findU.com!
[Larry Cerney] The problem is my assumptions.  I learned a long time ago to
assume nothing because it make an ASS out of U and ME.  I know that and I
still assumed the graph was from yesterday. Sorry for the confusion which
was all on my end.

Steve K4HG

aprssig mailing list
aprssig at lists.tapr.org