[aprssig] Re: D700A gps interface problem

KC2MMi kc2mmi at verizon.net
Tue Jul 20 18:06:18 UTC 2004

By comparison here's a log snippet from my DeLuo:

and then those repeat. If I only could remember.<G> I think I turned off
several strings that APRS doesn't use, like the $GPGLL (which means $string,
GPglobalpositioning, LLlat/lon) and I'd expect Scott is right about the "V"
flag in yours. That's why GPSManager was recommended to me, btw, because it
allows you to program the hockey-pucks that have no interface software with

Does your GPS have a clear sky view? Even with a 30-degree wide view up at
the sky, that's not enough for a GPS lock most of the time. A good 90-degree
view of the sky, all around, is about the minimum to expect a good lock
with. And on first powr-up, or if the unit's internal memory has gone flat,
the new ones can take 5+ minutes to get the first lock. Older models (like a
1987 Magellan) could take 45 minutes to get first lock!

If you have any GPS-interactive software running, most of it will have some
screen that shows GPS performance, i.e. "poor-fair-good" or "no satellites"
etc., in human-friendly form.