[aprssig] Homemade Geiger Counter

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Jul 27 16:32:40 UTC 2004

> FYI, you can buy a geiger counter for 10 bucks and free shipping at

Good source for tubes, at least.  My CDV700 lasted about two weeks before
the regulator died.  Buying a replacement (Corotron?) wasn't worth it, hence
the microcontroller-based project.  And keep in mind that while some of
these take D cells, many require 67.5-volt 'B' batteries.

Halogen-quenched GM tubes should theoretically have an unlimited lifespan.
I think organically quenched tubes will eventually wear out, but modern ones
at least should last a long time.