[aprssig] D700 owners question

Chris Rose kb8uih at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 16 15:36:18 UTC 2004

The THD7 will run with a laptop running a terminal
program or APRS program to run packet.  However, it
won't act as a digipeater as the TNC doesn't have the
smarts for it.  It won't act as a mail box drop
either.  It will allow message handling point to point
Also remember the HT doesn't have huge RF punch so you
will need to be able to hit a digi close by or hear a
digi close by to make your packet system work.
If you are in a situation that you are only a few
miles away from all the action you need to see and
hear like a local walk or bike event, you can stand up
a 20-25' antenna and run your packet net comfortably
with you at the center.  I've done that twice
recently.  We used APRS to track runners at a local
annual event with trackers in the lead and tail cars.
For a local emergency if you only need to cover a few
miles, it will work but plan on the big antenna.