[aprssig] Worst Path of the Day

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Oct 27 14:50:54 UTC 2004

It seems to me that the best option is for APRS applications to educate
(and maybe bludgeon) the user who tries to set a bad path.  This, of
course, assumes that the operator is willing to listen and learn.  I
agree with Curt that sometimes a path that is frowned upon for general
operation could be necessary.

It also seems that the IGate would be the best place for any sort of
enforcement.  I suspect that IGates are the immediate target of paths
that are too long, so appropriate enforcement may be if an IGate
messaged Mr. WIDE7-7,RELAY and started dropping his packets (maybe
after a grace period, maybe not).  IGates would also have the smarts
for this, so we don't have to mess with the digis, dumb or not.