[aprssig] conveying map view

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Sep 22 00:10:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> In the mean time, you might consider just adding what APRSdos does,
> that is, always center on a station sending PRIORITY or EMERGENCY.
> Yes, its only part of what Wes asked for, but its trivial.

And this works only for stations transmitting MIC-E format packets.
Those are the only ones that can have Priority and Emergency status.

> I would recomend that such auto-centering should also be combined with a
> range scale setting of 16 miles if presently over that.  This seems to
> match the high density on the East coast and make the "centered" station
> visible amongst all the others..
> > Would we want a list of the map files to go across as well?  That
> > could get very long/time-consuming across the air.
> No too much data.
> Id say a human readable format would be best.  Hence a message, hence
> somehting like this in a message or bulletin or whatever:
>   "Pse view xxxxN/yyyyyW @range 16."
> I think to the nearest mile is adequate for this application...

I'm starting to like the idea of posting an object of a certain
format, rather than a message.  If it had a standard format, clients
could pop up a dialog that would allow the user to set the center
and zoom to match.  That should work quite well for events I would

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com