[aprssig] Understanding IGATE

Jeremy Bair k2orx at ungulate.net
Thu Jun 16 01:53:37 UTC 2005

Greetings all,

        This past weekend, I participated with other BRATS (Baltimore Radio Amateur Television Society) members in a public service event over on the eastern shore (Salisbury, MD). I was unable to do APRS over RF in my vehicle, so I decided to beacon my location over APRS IS only over my cell connection.

        I was not able to send a message to anyone on RF, but I was able to receive without a problem. They were able to reach an IGATE as their location was on findu, but as far as I can tell, they did not reach an IGATE directly and went through several digipeaters. We attempted to set up a local IGATE, but there must have been a misconfiguration in the IGATE setup because it did not work.

        Are IGATEs able to gate messages to RF to stations heard over a digipeater? If so, Is there any intelligence to IGATEs so that the messages are transmitted following the minimum path possible and choosing the best possible IGATE to limit the number of transmissions?