[aprssig] High speed datbase inserts (CGI)

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Tue Mar 1 06:35:41 UTC 2005

I have a situation at my work that is very close to APRS.

I was wondering if someone could pass on some words of wisdom.

I have a stream from a data source not unlike and APRS server stream.

I would like this to be split up and end up in a MySQL database to be
searched on.

I have been experimenting with writting to files every 10 minutes and then
doing inserts into mysql
from these files. With the idea of giving the database time to breath for

I have some questions regarding perl. In the duration I am closing off one
file and opening up another,
would the telnet data be "pooled" by Net/Telnet.pm.

Would I be better off inserting straight into the database ? and not worry
about files ?

How does findu.com do it ?

I think I see two ways of doing this

1) Write data from the telnet stream into files each minute, then start a
new file and process the old files
2) Place data straight into the mysql database

My only concern is bottle necks.

Comments ?