[aprssig] High speed datbase inserts (feedback/ re-think)

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Mar 2 14:55:17 UTC 2005

On 3/2/05 at 4:32 PM Andrew Rich (VK4TEC) <vk4tec at tech-software.net> sent:

>This works great UNTIL ... you do any other database activity on the
>table. The perl script cannot insert (even delayed) and bombs out.
DELAYED should always work, assuming you have allocated large enough buffers.
You did read the optimization documentation, right?

How many inserts per second do you have?

Even unoptimized, on a 1GHz Mac (I do a lot of findU testing on my Powerbook), I
can handle the 30-40 inserts/second of findU's parser (without DELAYED) and run
any of the findU scripts, as well as handling all the normal GUI load. Unless
you have hundreds of inserts a second or are running on a PS-2, there is
something wrong with the way you have set things up...

Steve K4HG