[aprssig] APRS Message Idea

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Mar 3 14:30:47 UTC 2005

Yes, but that is a two step process.  The way I read this
UIview add-on, you send the message the normal way
and when it times out, and you want to then send it
via store and forward, you ave to send it again to the
S&F node.  Not at all seamless to the original send-and-
forget design...

>>> "Tyson S." <timbercutter at yahoo.com> 3/2/05 11:50:09 PM >>>
Allready done,

UIVIEW anyway.

--- "A.J. Farmer (AJ3U)" <ajfarmer at spenet.com> wrote:

> With APRS, when you send a message to another station, the software
> (or
> hardware in the case of Kenwood radios) tries a number of times to
> deliver
> the message, then gives up if the receiving station does not ACK the
> message.  With the connectivity available through the APRS-IS, we
> now
> send text messages via APRS anywhere in the world.  The problem is,
> if you
> are messaging a far away station, you don't know if they are
> active
> on APRS during the particular moment that you send the message.
> This concept is very similar to cell phone text messages, however,
> the
> cellular "system" will store a message for days (7 or so?) until the
> recipient device is available on the "network" so it can make the
> delivery.
> In most cases, this is just a matter of the person being in a
> temporary "RF
> hole" such as inside a building or on a rural road.  With cellular,
> the
> message gets delivered as soon as the person gets back in range,
> sorry, you missed the guy by a few minutes...
> I know this was not the original design or intent of APRS, but what
> do you
> all think of enabling this type of store and forward capability?
> This
> system could be separate from the standard "tactical" type of
> messaging
> currently used.  I envision it would be set up similar to the EMAIL
> gateway.
> Perhaps there would be a gateway with an alias of "MSG".  To use
> store
> and forward system, send a message to "MSG" with the recipient
> callsign-ssid
> as the first piece of the message and the actual message as the
> remainder.
> The "MSG" gateway will pick it up from APRS-IS and handle storage
> delivery.  I'm not going to get into further "how it works" details
> at this
> point.  I just wanted to throw the general idea out there to see if
> there is
> any interest in this.
> What do you all think?  Good idea?  Stupid idea?  Already available
> somehow?
> 73!
> A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
> http://www.aj3u.com