[aprssig] WA8LMF UI-View webserver down, now back up

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Mar 8 20:15:56 UTC 2005

Sometime yesterday, the computer powering my UI-View webserver had a
power supply failure and shut down, knocking
off the air.   I've spent the last 12 hours moving the server setup to
another PC  and have it back up (I think).

The post-mortem on the original PC revealed that six 1000uF 25V aluminum
electrolytic capacitors  (part of the motherboard DC/DC converter that
supplies 1.5 VDC and 3.3 VDC to the Celeron CPU) were bulging outward on
top. One had actually split and leaked goo onto a toroidal choke where
it fried into a black crisp.

This was supposedly an HP "corporate" PC  (not a no-name el-cheapo
generic or low-end consumer HP from Circuit City)  that had been running
24/7 for about 9 months.   Make your own conclusions......

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs
Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: