[aprssig] RE: APRS User Activity Bit

kb2scs at optonline.net kb2scs at optonline.net
Thu Mar 10 00:15:13 UTC 2005

HI All
           APRS-SCS displays the call signs of the stations on its
map in different colors. The colors provide information about the
stations on the map. The colors match APRSdos symbol colors.

In other words bright white call sign the station is APRS message

On 9 Mar 2005 at 14:10, Bill Herrmann wrote:

> Well, the activity bit is only part of the answer. If you check the
> at the beginning of chapter 5 in the APRS spec (The one that says
> Data Type Identifiers.") you'll see that messaging capability is
one of
> the things called out there too. My suspicion is that some of the
> software does not distinguish between those and should. Check "!"
and "="
> or  "/" and "@" for examples. Each pair means the same type of data
> specifies whether the station supports messaging capability.
> Curt - We may want to add something to the client capabilities
chart to
> indicate whether program X distinquishes between stations that can
> message.
> Personally, I'd like to see APRS client software better distinguish
> whether a station is message capable and possibly even warn you if
you try
> to send a message to one that isn't. (and I'm gonna have to look at
> various APRS applications that I have to see which do that as I
> know!)
> Bill

Let us hope we never witness the "Silence Of The Hams"
73 DE John  KB2SCS
       E-Mail:            kb2scs at arrl.net
       APRS-SCS     http://www.tapr.org/~kb2scs
       Web Page:     http://www.qsl.net/kb2scs