[aprssig] Why RELAY,WIDE... is so bad....

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 31 23:05:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> How about a path of    "WIDE1-1, WIDE1-1"    or    "WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2"    ??
> Set the alias of the former home "RELAY" digi to WIDE1-1 instead.   If a
> "dumb" home former-RELAY-type digi does the first digipeat, it marks
> WIDE1-1 as used.
> Then the true WIDEn-N digi(s) get a shot at the second part of the
> path.   I assume that in the absence of a nearby home digi, a "real"
> WIDEn-N would digi the first hop, then the WIDE2-2 part would cause two
> more digipeats.
> The path is compatible with either    first-hop-via-home-station,   or
> with all hops via    n-N-only    true wides and preserves exclusively
> dupe-supressing WIDEn-N type paths.

I could see going for that.  It means the home stations are mostly
silent until they are needed, s most people will wide2-2 in there
instead.  Just the mobiles/portables needing it will have wide1-1 in
the first slot.

This means that you can still get duplicate packets because of the
home digi's, but the hilltop digi's will include it in their

Seems to work for what I need!