[aprssig] Xastir install issues

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 30 07:46:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Scott Miller wrote:

> Never tried to do a Xastir install under Windows myself.  What's the policy on
> redistributing the Cygwin dll?  Does it need more of a runtime environment
> than just the library?

Yea  Needs X-Windows as well, and if you want to have a usable Unix
environment you'll need more than just the DLL.

> What's to stop you from packaging up the whole think,
> Cygwin and all, with InstallShield or something, and making a single-file
> Windows installer?  That would go a loooong way toward increasing Xastir's
> popularity.

See the Binary Downloads section off the www.xastir.org home page,
the Windows section.  The Lintronics install is a very easy install.

Who needs more popularity BTW?  We're having fun as-is.  If people
don't want to come play in our camp, they're perfectly welcome to
stay in theirs.  Takes all kinds.

One could certainly come up with a set of sources that would not
require Cygwin, but it would take a lot of development effort to do
so.  I've thought about tackling this before, but the benefits would
not be worth the amount of work involved.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com