[aprssig] APRS Voice Alert

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 16:11:44 UTC 2005

On 9/7/05, Dave Baxter <dave at emv.co.uk> wrote:
>I'm not in any way saying it's not a good idea.  Just perhaps it's
>misguided to propose it's widespread use on a national APRS frequency.

Yes, you are correct.  The only stations that should be using it are
mobile or portable stations.  It should not have widespread use.  A
home user or obviously a digi should not use voicealert because that
wouldn't make any sense.

The purpose of voicealert is to help set up a voice contact for the
mobile or portable station.  It should be used only by an attended
station that wishes to "participate".  Running it unattended or on a
wide coverage station is counterproductive and only invites problems.

>an excelent tool,
>so long as the station's hardware supports it, and an awful lot of it

Hmmm.. most radios these days support tone squelch, don't they?
Actually, they don't even need to support APRS.  I keep 144.39 CT100
in the scan list of my mobile (non-APRS) radio of my wife's car.  It
doesn't transmit, but it does listen for voicealert stations.