[aprssig] Garmin GPS18 problem

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Sun Apr 2 03:50:17 UTC 2006

I've got a GPS18LVC that has gone ... well, deaf. It still talks out
its serial line, I just updated it with the latest software from the
Garmin website. It responds fine to the serial port.

But it is weird about what it reports. For example:

It's telling me that it sees 11 satellites, but they're all at
0 azimuth/elevation? That seems just wrong.

Or is this what comes out when it doesn't have a fix, and I need
to be more patient? (Yes, it's clear that it doesn't have a fix yet.)

At least it knows what time it is. That seems like a good thing.

73 de chris K6DBG