[aprssig] Re: aprssig Digest, Vol 22, Issue 6

Jan T. Pharo la2bba at jpharo.net
Fri Apr 7 05:19:38 UTC 2006

<scott at opentrac.org>, Thu, 6 Apr 2006 17:47:18 -0700:

>There's still another possibility...
>I've been sitting on this because of the flamewar that erupted last time I
>brought it up, a year ago.

Has there been a flamewar. Luckily enough for me, I haven't even heard
about it.
>The program explains the situation, suggests that you make a donation to a
>cancer research organization, provides links to four of them, requires the
>user to indicate that they understand, and then removes the registration
>requirement and provides the APRS IS validation password for their callsign.

There are quite a lot of cancer research organisations; I am using
different .signature files according to which country the application
comes from.
>It's a single 24k executable, and it changes a total of 3 bytes in
>UI-View32.  It'd eliminate the need for volunteer registrars, and would
>respect Roger's wishes as I understand them.  I don't intend to publish it,
>though, without the OK from his estate.

Then you should offer that solution to the owners of the program. What
they decide, is valid.
I doubt that the program can check that the callsign and the name belong
to the same person or organisation, btw.

73 de Jan, LA2BBA
Hvaler, Norway