[aprssig] Mic-E encoding on HF -- does generic SSID path GATE?

Ben Jackson ben at ben.com
Fri Aug 4 20:46:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 02:49:24PM -0400, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
> Nearly all APRS HF receive stations igate received packets directly into
> the Internet system, along with any other functions such as cross-band
> digipeating.

I'm assuming that if I sent a packet with the path GATE (only) and it
was IGated by the HF receiver, the raw data on APRS-IS would look
something like src>APRS,GATE,qA?,hfgate*:...?

I'm fairly certain now that I'm hitting W7CCY (pretty much the one I
expected to hit):

which is getting things to the internet indirectly through mountaintop
digipeaters that eventually reach home stations with internet connectivity.

Of course if I used 100 watts instead of ~3 I would probably reach more
than one...

APRS should really have a route like 'IGATE-n' which would mean 'if you
can IGate me, I'm done, otherwise digipeat up to n more hops'.

Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben at ben.com>