[aprssig] KPC-3+ momentarily inop w/ AGW

john b. leonard, jr. w9jbl at comcast.net
Sat Aug 12 15:17:17 UTC 2006

I have a problem that I hope somebody can help me with.

I have a KPC3+.  When I start it with AGWPE and AGWTERM, it doesn't seem to
react to packets, i.e., it doesn't receive/monitor them on AGWTERM.  But
when I shut down AGW and start Hyperterminal to talk to the TNC, it works
great.  Monitors packets like crazy.  Then when I shut down Hyperterm and
start up AGW, all of a sudden everything works fine.

I've uninstalled/re-installled both AGW products and no change.

Computer is a Dell Latitude C600 w/ WinXP Pro.  This setup has worked ok
previously, but just within the last week or so it started messing up.

TNC is connected directly to the serial/comm port with a serial cable which
has worked just fine for many years.

When I shutdown/restart the computer, it fails again.  No blinkity-blink of
the lites in the AGWPE tray icon.  But if I use Hyperterm, shut it down,
start AGWPE and everything works fine.  Tray icon lites work, packets
monitored ok, etc.

What's up?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
- Will Rogers