[aprssig] smallest tracker?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Mon Dec 4 15:53:40 UTC 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 9:35 AM, Rochte, Robert wrote:

> What is the smallest APRS tracker currently made?  Or, perhaps more
> important than size, the lightest?  I have used a Pockettracker and
> conventional handheld GPS with great success, but surely it must be
> possible
> to shrink all of this down...

Tracker as in transmit only?

Here's a very low power model meant for the rocketry folks, operates
on 70cm.  I've never seen anything smaller:

Less that 6oz, but you have to built it yourself:

I've got a surface mount OpenTracker that's really small.  Add a
Garmin GPS18LVC (break it out of the plastic case to further reduce
size & weight).  Attach to an Alinco DJ-C7 for a pretty small package.

If you want to receive as well, probably a D7 and a small GPS is the
smallest reasonably available package.