[aprssig] New APRS Client, Request for Developers

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Mon Feb 20 16:45:20 UTC 2006

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006, Ben Jackson wrote:

> 5 minutes is an estimate, but I will say 2-3 minutes plus. That's from
> invoking "xastir" from the command line to when something starts drawing
> itself on X. I've turned up verbosity to insane levels and no kind of
> diagnostic information gets spit back at me.

View->Uptime should tell you how long it takes it to boot up.  The
timer gets reset very early in main().

The only things I can think of that would cause it to come up very

*) Memory starvation/swapping
*) Corrupt language file (very long?)
*) Indexing new FCC or RAC files (only first time new file is
*) Online maps which take a while to load
*) "Index New Maps on Startup" enabled and a bunch of local maps
     that it has to check through.
*) Some library we're dependent on is taking a while to initialize.
*) LANG environment variable set to something other than "en_US" or
"C", which causes Xastir be unable to read/write its config files

Perhaps if the permissions in the ~/.xastir directory are such that
Xastir cannot write into there, Xastir might attempt to repeat
FCC/RAC indexing or some other operation each time on boot.
Incorrect setting of the LANG variable can also cause such

> Odd. I am using the Debian binaries, perhaps it's something
> isolated to them.

We have several others running Debian.  Not sure if any are running
Debian binaries for Xastir, but I suspect so.  Haven't heard of any
slow startup like you're describing.  You should mention the problem
on the Xastir list as that's where you'll get responses from other
Debian users.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com