[aprssig] Alinco DR-635T (APRS capable)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 4 15:42:44 UTC 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Wes Johnston wrote:

> Hmm... Without starting too much... I am pleased with my kenwood d700.
> It fits nicely on top of my GPS display on a post sticking up out of the
> floor of my car.  I'm not _so_ happy with it that if another radio manu
> came out with another similar/better radio, I wouldn't consider buying
> the other.

Just curious, has anyone checked out the newer Alincos, like the
DR-620T (discontinued now) or the DR-635T?  The 635T has digipeating
built-in plus the flooding protocols.  Just wondering how it stacks
up against the Kenwood D700A.

The first Alinco APRS rig, the DR-135T, was a 2-meter only radio
with a TNC board.  It didn't do digipeating at all, which was why I
passed on it.  As I recall some people had problems with it losing
it's configs, perhaps during low voltage conditions while starting.

The 635T has the digipeating, and is a dual-bander, so it's closer
to the D700A.  Just wondering if it was lacking a bunch of features
compared to the Kenwood, and if it also has the "losing configs"
problem of the earlier Alinco.  Any reviews with respect to it's
APRS capabilities?