[aprssig] Re: Anyone running APRS on a LCD in a car ?

Claude Head III k5dtn at swbell.net
Tue Jan 24 19:58:47 UTC 2006

What about the police data terminals, vehicular  tracking, etc screens? Are public safety officers specifically exampted  in the new law, or is a permit needed, which amateurs/APRSers might be  able to get?
  73, Claude K5DTN

Al Wolfe <awolfe at Route24.net> wrote:   FWIW:
    Our state legislature (the best money can buy) here in Illinois has
decided that it is illegal for the driver of a vehicle to be able to see an
onboard TV screen or computer screen while operating a vehicle. This is very
discouraging to me as I have been running APRS on a laptop, usually on the
passenger seat, for many years.
    This kind of puts the kibosh on running a lot of the newer gear that
have a screen built in. I don't know if anyone has challenged this ill
conceived law yet.

Al, K9SI

aprssig mailing list
aprssig at lists.tapr.org