[aprssig] New User Question(s)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jun 5 16:42:36 UTC 2006

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Mark Miller wrote:

> I have a basic question about the WIDEn-N parameters.
> I think I understand that the first number indicates the desired number of
> hops, and the second number indicates the number of hops remaining.  I
> understand the concept of WIDE1-1, but cannot understand WIDE2-1.  If 2
> hops are desired, then why set the second parameter to allow only 1 hop?

A very good question.  You are correct that WIDE1-1 and WIDE2-1 (and
WIDE7-1 for that matter) specify one hop.

The difference is this:  We use WIDE1-1 for the fill-in digi's,
which are at a lot of low-level locations like people's homes.  If
you use WIDE1-1 as the _first_ item in your path, then you get the
advantage of triggering the home fill-in digi's OR the mountaintop
WIDEn-N digi's.

Now, if you do a path like this:

You end up triggering the mountaintop digi's for two hops, then
mountaintop digi's _AND_ the fill-in digi's on that third hop.  Not
good.  It causes quite a racket.

Stick to WIDE1-1 as the _first_ element in the path, then if you
need just one more hop, add WIDE2-1 as the 2nd element.  WIDE2-1
doesn't trigger the fill-in digi's, but gives you only one hop on
the mountaintops.  If you want three hops, then you go with

The paths above are mostly for mobile stations.  Home stations
should generally use WIDE1-1 or WIDE2-2, unless they also need help
from a fill-in station to get to the mountaintops.

Hopefully that makes sense.  We had to abscond with WIDE1-1 for the
fill-ins in order to make the new paradism digi scheme work right,
then use WIDE2-1 for the mountaintops in its place.