[aprssig] What sort of events have you been using APRS with?

Anders Green anders at pobox.com
Thu Jun 22 13:43:58 UTC 2006

At 09:03 AM 6/22/2006, William McKeehan wrote:
>We provided communications for the Knoxville Marathon and APRS was used in
>that. I had a Kenwood TH-D7 on my motorcycle and one APRS display at the
>Start/Finish line. I stayed with the lead runner until he crossed the finish
>line at which point I went back and trailed the last runner.

Wow, that's a cool example of what you can do with just
ONE tracker.

>a bicycle ride called the Tour de Blount. ... At this event, we
>had 3 event coordinators come talk to us about providing communications for
>their event.

People who do things well are doomed to doing lots
of work! *grin*

>Do you guys have plans to use APRS for Rally TN this year? I worked that event
>last year @ the net control station with Tony; you may remember me.

Oh! Hey! Small world. :)

I don't know what the plans are for Rally Tennessee this
year. (http://www.rallytennessee.com/ ) I'm sure Tony
will be in charge of communications. I know that he has
_wanted_ to implement APRS for the last five years or so.
I would guess that there's not a digipeater up there, but
you would probably know better than I. We were all running
around like silly chickens at that event... we sure could
have used some resource tracking.