[aprssig] Cell Range

Ron rgilson at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 10 00:19:45 UTC 2006

Well just about the time I understood Cell Operation, I learn some thing new.  At one time Cell mobiles were only allowed to have an antenna with max 3db gain even though there were 5 db antennas on the market.  Also, mobiles ran 3 watts while hand helds were 600 mw.  I never could understand why 25 and 50 watt base stations were used.  I realize that duplexers and multi couplers have high loss at 800+ but that still does not account for the difference.  In the digital world, what is the usual power level difference between hand helds and the bases?
Ron