[aprssig] DIN Connectors

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Mar 18 01:16:08 UTC 2006

fred at wb4aej.com wrote:
>     Well, I just got off the phone with MFJ.  They gave me a Jameco part
> number of 15878 (in stock).  I also found a 15879 (the RoHS one, but it is
> not in stock).
>     I can't get a zoom in on that part.  I want to see if it is like the DIN
> that came with the unit (I don't see how to get a soldering iron to the pins
> they way it is configured).
>     But I'm still looking.
>     Regards,
>                                                                     Fred,
Why bother trying to solder those nasty pins (the plastic insulator
usually starts melting anyway.)?   Buy a PC keyboard extension cable for
the older full-size 5-pin keyboard connectors that preceded the miniDIN
PS/2 type.  Cut the cable in half. You get a nice molded-on plug  with a
cable, ready to wire to some other kind of connector.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

NEW!    UI-View Misc Notes and FAQ

Updated "Rev G" APRS            http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs