[aprssig] An Anniversary Cheer for Stephen Smith

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Wed Mar 29 04:31:51 UTC 2006

> But, if in an N=3 region we instead configure the high digi's as has
> been recommended for an N=2 region then:
> WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 will allow 3 hops which is the maximum we wish to
> allow and
> WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3 will allow just 2
> WIDE3-3 will allow just 1

Yes, that's correct.  Most high digis are heard directly by an IGate, so all
such packets would be seen on the internet (main objective of many casual

> So it appears that if the goal is to impose a 3 hop limit, then
> configuring the high digi's as has been recommended for an N=2 region
> does this better than N=3.

Yes.  With only 4 "trapping" slots available in the Kantronics TNC, make
those high "W2,SSn" digis with
With the UIDIGI firmware TNCs more "trapping" slots are available for use in
the high "W2,SSn" "S overlay" digis.

> The fundamental problem is that the digi which we are using are out of
> date...I guess we will have to live with what we have..for now.

Right again.  That old 1200baud 2-meter AFSK packet gear just keeps ticking
along somehow.  hi  I'm using it for Telpac (email) sometimes now too.
Works good!
73, Cap KE6AFE