[aprssig] Garmin GPS35PC not getting fix

Amir's email sarlabs at twcny.rr.com
Wed Nov 29 21:52:27 UTC 2006

Hi Ralph:

Go to this page: http://www.garmin.com/products/gps35/download.html
Download the latest software update (from 2000) and install it in your
dinoGPS. I bet it will work then. Simply, in August 1999 the GPS calendar
hit a Y2K-like bump and mot units were not ready for it (other than the
Garmin III or III+ I believe). I was on a search in the Great Sandy Desert
in Western Australia then and one day my Garmin II was working fine, the
next nothing. Nothing worked till I got back home and did the procedure I
described above (with the appropriate file).

OTOH, this unit is so old, the technology so ancient that it may not be able
to perform. I don't remember how many channels the 35 has, but they
definitely are not parallel, so it will take a long while to lock on the
satellite and retaining acquisition in a car, where at least half the sky is
covered by the roof, well it is going to be iffy at best.

73 de K9CHP, Amir Findling, member ARRL, AMSAT #36083
1st Special Response Group (1SRG) http://www.1srg.org/
Apprentice Tracker, Joel Hardin Professional Tracking Services