[aprssig] APRS DOS

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Apr 1 16:13:13 UTC 2007

To Bob WBTAPR...

Hi Bob - I just replied to a query over on the UI-View list about APRS DOS
apparently version 852. Here's a report of parsing errors from findu.com

in Windsor monitoring 145.470MHZ

The APRS spec calls for 8 characters for the latitude and 9 characters for
the longtitude. VA3VA appears to be using one decimal place and two NNs and
two WWs for the position report. Will you please comment on the double

For a test, I took a known good log file and played it back in UI-View and
then truncated it down to one decimal place and changed the N to NN and the
W to WW and it wouldn't display the positions. The original comment over on
the UI-View list was that this station wouldn't display in UI-View. It also
doesn't show up at findu.com except for the on the parsing errors page.

UI-View doesn't "do" ambiguity, but with the log file using one decimal and
a space followed by a single N or a single W, it displays a (non ambiguous)
position. However with a single decimal and the double NN or double WW,
it wouldn't display.

Note... VA3VA was using UI-View about 12 hours ago. It's while it was using
APRS DOS that it wasn't being displayed in UI-View or findu.com.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH