[aprssig] Re: Functional path to hit both WIDE and WIDEn-n digis?

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 17:38:35 UTC 2007

> Message: 10
> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:45:38 -0400
> From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu>
> Subject: RE: [aprssig] Functional path to hit both
> WIDE and WIDEn-n
> 	digis?
> > significant number of the digis in my area are
> using
> > WIDE or RELAY and not WIDEn-n.  I don't think any
> > amount of email is going to convince them to
> change...
> It is incumbent on everyone of us as users of the
> APRS system to
> provide encouragement, and assistance to all sysops
> to get these
> things changed.  These old legacy systems have held
> us back for
> now 15 years, and about 3 years ago, we decided it
> was time to
> move on.  Then New-N Paradigm resulted.
> The improvments to the system have been *dramatic*.
> See
> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html
> If the existing sysops don't want to do anything, we
> must still
> get these legacy systems set to the new paramters or
> new
> volunteers will just have to put up alternate digis.
>  And users
> will have to stop using RELAY,WIDE to discourage
> their
> existance.
> While we are at it, have the SYSOPS add the
> locally-recommended
> VOICE repeater objects to their digis, so that
> travelers see
> these reeommendations on the front panel of their
> radios as they
> drive through.
> See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html
> Bob, WB4APR

Yes, I understand all this but explain to me how to
convince a sysop to add something to a digipeater when
they don't want to change the thing in the first
place.  I asked the question about the path because,
as of right now, APRS is completely useless if I don't
even get digipeated when I'm out and about.  I can
hear plenty of traffic but my own posits never go
anywhere, APRS-IS or otherwise.  The digis aren't
going to change overnight and emails to the owners
have gone unanswered.  So all I can do is stop using
APRS completely or adjust my path to make it
functional even if it's not in the way you want.

Do You Yahoo!?