[aprssig] Help setting up a new TM-D710 for APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Dec 31 04:54:33 UTC 2007

Steve Noskowicz wrote:
>  Bob,
>    You may have said before...   Would you provide some details on this.
> Does the S-Meter go up any on this "hash"?
> Does the S-Meter control threshold setting change due to this noise?
> Does the unsquelched noise (with hash vs. without) sound any different (to you)
> ?
> 73, Steve

This is totally broadband white noise that blankets all of the HF and
VHF spectrum. It is not discrete carriers, hash,  or "birdies" with
grinding noises or audible whine.  (I suspect diode noise effect from
high DC currents flowing through semiconductor junctions in the hybrid
power converter system.)

Since it is broadband band white noise,  the unsquelched radio on an
empty channel sounds exactly the same as without the noise.   The effect
is to mask weak signals and make them sound noisier than they would be
otherwise, and to raise the thresh-hold of the noise-activated FM
squelch; i.e. stronger signal and more quieting required to open the

The result is very similar to the type of white-noise receiver desense
that base stations on crowded sites sometimes experience.  The net
effect is to reduce the effective sensitivity of the radio from .25-.3
microvolts to more like 1-2 microvolts.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map

JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide