[aprssig] Voice Aert redux

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Feb 11 19:35:05 UTC 2007

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> That's the joy of APRS Voice Alert.  If someone is there and
> within 2 or 3 miles of you, you cannot miss the opportunity for
> a live simplex QSO.

> Like we say, it only takes a few un-informed individuals running
> it from base stations or 24/7 parked cars to wipe out Voice
> Alert in an area.

This thread makes me wonder if something simple couldn't be done
for non-Kenwood APRS stations:  Perhaps a piezeo buzzer that could
be enabled/disabled in the firmware or with a switch on a Tinytrak4
or Tracker2.  The software could determine if they were within range
and whether they were mobile.  You know, some nice configurable

When I heard the buzzer I could swing my other 2-meter radio there
quickly and give a yell.

No PL required, but we'd need a flag in the comment field to let
others know we were monitoring.  This could be added automatically
by the firmware for our transmits if the piezo was enabled.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com