[aprssig] Welcoming Travelers

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Feb 20 14:56:15 UTC 2007

> Has anyone ever used APRS to identify a visitor to your
> local area, generate an automatic msg... welcoming them...
> and refer them to your primary  voice repeater?

This welcoming of travelers by providing them with a local
travelers VOICE repeater object on the front panel of their
radio is the objective behind the LOCAL INFO INITIATIVE:

I agree that it is a very powerful and useful function of APRS!
We need digipeater owners to implement it in all digipeaters
everywhere.  It is a no-cost addition, since it is originated at
the DIGIpeaters that can listen-before-TX and so avoid any
collision with other packets.  But these packets MUST BE KEPT
LOCAL and DIRECT ONLY!!!  They only have local DIRECT value and
are SPAM everywhere else.

thinking that