[aprssig] barcodes, etc.

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 17:30:39 UTC 2007

On 2/28/07, Wes Johnston, AI4PX <wes at kd4rdb.com> wrote:
> move the equipment.  Each time a runner passes a checkpoint and gets scanned

I think this is a great discussion and there are some great ideas
here, but I can't see barcodes working for runners.  I don't think it
would be possible (or at least not reliable) to scan the barcode of a
moving runner and there is no way they are going to slow down or stop
just so you can scan a barcode that is somehow attached to them.

For slower moving objects in an event, this makes sense, but I don't
see it working for rapidly moving runners in a marathon.

For runners, how about a keypad and manual entry of their runner
number as they go by?  It is not as accurate as a barcode and some
might get missed if a big bunch goes by at one time, but it would not
impact their concentration.  The missed ones would likely be caught
and logged by the next checkpoint.

A.J. Farmer, AJ3U