[aprssig] APRS for a "ocean buoy"

M J mjandthegang at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 10:51:41 UTC 2007

I may be assuming incorrectly on this, but I am wondering if your project includes sending data about oceanographic conditions or if the need is simply that of geolocating the buoy?

If this is about sending oceanographic conditions, I am wondering about the equipment used to monitor and how it is embedding the data in the transmission.  I found the APRS protocol online but I don't see anything in the protocol that would allow for much beyond sending basic weather information.

I can imagine that APRS ought to be able to convey a lot of data such as solar radiation, river flow, water height, atmospheric opacity but I'm having trouble finding a way that such information can be embedded and parsed in a standard way.

If this is considered off topic I would be appreciative of a direct reply.  By the way, a couple of my EE college friends are now monitoring the list.  This is quite interesting.  Thank you!

Do You Yahoo!?