[aprssig] APRS telemetry and the PIC 16F877A

KA8VIT ka8vit at ka8vit.com
Wed Jan 24 22:07:40 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I use the Atmel AT89S8252..  it is an 8051 variant with 8-kb of in-circuit
programmable flash, 2-kb of EEPROM, 256-bytes of ram...  serial port,
3-16 bit timers...  dual data pointers and more...

Even when you add a $1.10 for a crystal they are cheaper than the pics
and way out class them.

I have been playing around with them and using a 4-bit R2R ladder and
a 20-bit phase accumulator to generate tones used for packet, RTTY,
DTMF and more.

The Atmel AVRs are also an excellent choise with many of the same
features as the 8252.

Bill  KA8VIT

Jason Winningham wrote:
> I found working with the PIC to be like hitting myself with a hammer -
> it feels good when you stop.  Architecture is RISC enough to make
> assembly programming painful for a project of any size, compilers all
> cost $$.
> I'm playing with the Atmel AVRs, in particular the ATmega8 on the
> Arduino. http://www.arduino.cc/  It's got an IDE that's free, high
> level, and cross platform (including Mac OS X).  It's built on avrlib,
> so you can disregard their GUI and use it instead if that cranks your
> tractor.
> The Arduino NG has 6 pins that can be analog inputs or digital IO,
> plus a bunch more digital IO (total of 20 I/Os).  It includes a
> built-in RS232 to USB adapter.
> US$32 at www.sparkfun.com
> Just a satisfied user, standard disclaimers apply.
> -Jason
> kg4wsv

Bill Chaikin, KA8VIT
USS COD Amateur Radio Club - W8COD