[aprssig] DIGIpeater - Network performance

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Fri Jan 26 18:22:48 UTC 2007

How can you have over 60 to 100 stations in your Aloha circle?

240 is 2.4 to 4 times too many stations, right?

The 1200 baud 144.39 channel can only support an average user load of about 60
to 100 or so APRS stations or objects in an RF domain based on the typical
transmission rates and number of digipeaters and number of hops. See the
breakdown and analysis. This is because any greater load than 100% channel
capacity guarantees lost packets due to collisions. The size of your area that
holds the number of users capable of generating 100% channel capacity we call
your ALOHA circle

William McKeehan