[aprssig] The "portable" problem

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Mon Mar 19 03:29:08 UTC 2007

The problem is well known.  User with portable APRS radio (maybe he
isn't even using a GPS or sending position reports) is hiking in the
woods or sitting in the coffee shop.  His car is within simplex
range, and his car can hit the local digi.  But the small handheld

For reporting position, the problem is easy to solve - use a custom
path or make the car a temporary (while fixed) WIDE1-1.

However, this doesn't allow message traffic as easily (replies that
use the original message path may be okay, but what about other
traffic?).  Here's the feature I'd like to see in the next generation
of embedded APRS stuff...a digi with an "access list" that's semi-
smart.  You tell it the call of the "portable" station it is the
"host" for.

So I program in my N7XUC-8 station (my handheld D7A) as a portable

N7XUC-7 (my car) then acts like a WIDE1-1 for N7XUC-8.  It doesn't
need to do full WIDEn-n for this as if another digi can hear N7XUC-8,
it's making it into the network (although it might be nice to repeat
it anyhow if there is more than one portable station - think special

When someone sends N7XUC-8 (that's the DESTINATION, not source, call)
a message, N7XUC-7 will act like a WIDEN-n (possibly fully
decrementing n to minimize QRM)

N7XUC-7 won't digi any other traffic (except traffic that uses it's
call explicitly).

So does this exist in a portable package yet?