[aprssig] emcomm and ham cheapness

Chris Rose kb8uih at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 11 17:54:43 UTC 2007

I wanted to add to the hospital theme here.  Our
packet digi is on a hospital roof and we use an Icom
70 watt mobile for our radio.  We have equipment to
connect to a local internet provider for a link to the
state EOC when we need to.  The radio has been in
service for several years.  We have had several
problems with the TNC (Kantronics KPC 3 type),
however.  Whenever we want to remotely connect to set
the time for Spring forward and Fall back, it loses
its mind and we have to manually go and reset it.

--- Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> A recent post made the following comment:
> "I would prefer NOT to use a mobile because it is to
> be located on a hospital roof and, on occasion, will
> be powered by the building's emergency
> power system. Cost is an issue, as always."
> First, I'm not poking at Jim, the original poster,
> here... it just happened to neatly capsulize a
> thought I've run across a lot in hamdom.

< C U T >