[aprssig] APRS for One-Laptop-Per-Child

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Nov 12 09:20:15 UTC 2007

Scott Miller wrote:
> Ray McKnight wrote:
> > One laptop for every child on the planet.
> > I have strong words which I cannot use.
> > Other than utterly LUDICRIOUS!
> There are many arguments against the project, and I agree with a lot
> of them - I've certainly heard enough about it, with two family
> members having Master's degrees in education, and one of those being
> directly involved in educational technology design.
> But if governments have decided to spent millions of dollars on
> hardware, whether it's a good decision or not, we may as well make the
> most of it.  I would *love* to see an OLPC-compatible HF message node
> that could be dropped in any village (or disaster area) and provide
> worldwide email capabilities with a minimal investment in infrastructure.
> Scott
> N1VG

Since the OLPC runs a Linux-based operating system, probably Xastir
could be made to run on it fairly easily.

Wonder if the sound system is sufficiently "normal" (i.e. PC-like) that
the Linux sound card TNC driver would work.   (Or is that implemented in
X86 code that won't run at all on the CPU in the OLPC?)

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map

JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide

Symbols Set for UI-View,