[aprssig] PSK31 and OLPC?

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Mon Nov 12 19:45:28 UTC 2007

on 11/12/2007 1:33 PM Jack Cavanagh said the following:
> QPSK-31 is an FEC mode. OLIVIA, Chip-64, etc are alternate FEC modes to
> consider. If it is kids using whatever, they will pick it up real fast.
> They do not bring any bias to the table. On the other hand, the manager
> of one HRO store told me he has had more than one ham return a Kenwood
> D-700 because it was too complicated!

The linux program fldigi is a multi-mode HF soundcard digital application
that supports a wide variety of soundcard digital modes.

The companion program flarq is an adjunct of fldigi that adds ARQ connection
management to fldigi and allows for sending of emails, text, and binary files.

flarq add ARQ capability to any of the modes fldigi supports, which include
(from the website):
DominoEX 4 	DominoEX 5 	DominoEX 8 	DominoEX 11 	DominoEX 16 	DominoEX 22
Feld-Hell 	FSK-Hell 	FSK-Hell 105
MFSK-8 	MFSK-16 	MFSK-16 pix
PSK-31 	QPSK-31 	PSK-63 	QPSK-63 	PSK-125 	QPSK-125 	PSK-250 	QPSK-250
OLIVIA 	various tones and bandwidth
RTTY 	various Baud Rates, Shifts, Nbr of data bits, etc.
Throb-1 	Throb-2 	Throb-4 	ThrobX-1 	ThrobX-2 	ThrobX-4

This seems to me to be an excellent start on reliable message and data
passing using the best mode for the time/frequency/rig.

J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the