[aprssig] Nokia announces N810 Internet Tablet with built-in GPS

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 01:10:20 UTC 2007

> On the surface, this device appears that it will be a great
> APRS platform.  Has anyone played with any of the previous
> models (N700 or N800)?

I never have time to play radio in the ham  shack.   Then last summer
I had (another) epiphany.   If I don't have time to go to the shack,
why don't I bring it with me.  So I picked up a N800 with a plan to
implement totally existing technology to bring the data and voice and
rig control of the ham shack to it.  Then whenever I have net access
(local at home or on the Internet at large) I'll be able to do radio.

 APRS is a small but integral part of this plan as it's the IM and
resource-discovery core of Amateur Radio.  Bit by bit I'm putting the
pieces together.  Key checkpoints now are getting Bluetooth onto the
mobile D700 so I can access it remotely at any time and to hook the
home Icom rigs to the net for remote access.

There's a small Yahoo group setup for Ham Radio on the Nokia Internet
Tablets.  The Nokia name for their GUI interface is Hildon so the
Yahoo group is HildonHam.

The new 810 is cute but I think the n800 is going to work just fine
with an external bluetooth GPS that I can position and power

FYI - the 800 was down to $300 at Amazon and $230 at buy.com

Bill - WA7NWP