[aprssig] OpenAPRS WEB page

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Aug 21 01:14:34 UTC 2008

> I'm guessing you just have to take a guess that if 5 digits
> follow PHG then they are also indicating beacon times?

These are the original spec, and all the ...'s represent the
remaining useable TEXT field.

PHGxxxx text....
PHGxxxx,text.... Is ok too
PHGxxxx?text.... IE, the next byte after xxxx was a delimiter

IN all cases, any remaining TEXT field was supposed to ignore
leading delimiters or as a minimum, leading SPACEs.

When the need for beacon Rates was identified, we added it on
the end of PHG...

PHGxxxxR.... For a beacon rate (fixed length) with no following

But then the text begins right after the R and is not as
readable in raw packet form.

It would be good to see what all decoding systems do with all
the above examples...

Bob, WB4APR...

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Robert Bruninga
> <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> 	> The PGH strings which I have set up contains a
> 	> fifth number representing the number of beacons
> 	> per hour. For LD1FA, 4. For my home call, 2.
> 	> But they are regarded as the first part of the
> 	> rest of the status message, rather than part of
> 	> the PHG, on oaprs. And the explanation window
> 	> only speaks about 4 digits after the characters
> 	> 'PGH'.
> 	Yes, the 5th digit was used as a possible way of seeing
no only
> 	eomeones effective RF range but by also sestting the
beacons per
> 	hour, one could tell how reliably he was being received.
> 	this depended on parsers to "assume" a delimiter after
> 	original SPEC values of PHGxxxx,text......  So we found
we could
> 	replace that  comma delimiter with that beacon rate
> 	But this was probably mostly forgotten.  But it is good
that you
> 	raise it up.  It would be nice to get feedback on
> 	systems that by-luck, parse the 5th digit and do not
mess up
> 	their text, and those that do.  It wuold be nice to see
how the