[aprssig] APRS-IS to NMEA sentence generator

Gregory A. Carter gcarter at openaprs.net
Tue Dec 9 23:01:14 UTC 2008

You can snag a live datastream in NMEA waypoint format from OpenAPRS's DCC
interface.  Here is an example:

telnet dcc.openaprs.net 2620
Trying dcc.openaprs.net...
Connected to dcc.openaprs.
Escape character is '^]'.
001 MS:I am a OpenAPRS v1.01.02.
002 MS:Please login by typing ``.LN <email> <password> [client]''
.LN guest guest
100 MS:Login successful.
.LV NMA:yes
317 ON:yes|MS:Live set to ON.

Only thing an application must do is repond to the ping requests sent by the
client that is connected to it.  The response is simply .PN whever it
recieves a reply number 106.  Obviously you'd have to code a little bit of a
client to connect up, login and handle a minimum of requests from the server
but it would be far easier than parsing a full APRS stream.  The NMEA
waypoints also support objects as well.

For more information:  http://dcc.openaprs.net/

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Paul Vittorino
<wizeight+aprssig at gmail.com<wizeight%2Baprssig at gmail.com>