[aprssig] Beacon settings

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Feb 4 17:58:02 UTC 2008

Alan M. Fudge DVM wrote:
> So I have a unit and am "playing with it. I note the HTs are set for
> RELAY, WIDE. And looking at some paths for known 4WD (Aprs query), it
> appears that the Kenwood mobiles are set for the same.
> Knowing that this type of setting is consider passe' and for 4WD to
> continue to comm APRS (among themselves, command post and to internet
> when remotely managed) in mostly rural county AND to have them serve
> as digipeaters for the HTs, what settings would be optimal.

These are the now obsolete path settings that the Kenwoods default to
out of the box.  You MUST enter the setup menus and change these to
something like "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1" .

> And please define what RELAY means.

It's the now obsolete predecessor to "WIDE1-1"  (The first hop in a
digipeater path that either low-level digis like home stations -OR-
high-level wide area digipeaters respond to.)

The convention was changed several years ago to work around
incorrectly-implemented firmware in Kantronics KPC3 TNCs that are widely
used as digipeaters. (KPC3s processing paths with RELAY or WIDE will
stupidly retransmit their own previously-digipeated packets, if they
hear them retransmitted by another digi,  needlessly increasing channel
congestion,  .  KPC3s will effectively suppress duplicate
re-transmissions of packets they have already digipeated when processing
paths with WIDEn-N in them.  )

Full details on the evolution and rationale of APRS path settings here:

> Finally I was under the impression that the TH-D7 also could digipeat,
> but was told no.

It can IF it is operating in KISS mode under the control of a computer
running a program like UIview.    Otherwise NO.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map

JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide

Symbols Set for UI-View,