[aprssig] APRS-XO proposal

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 10 18:16:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, AE5PL Lists wrote:

> APRS-IS does not accept UDP packets due to the lack of verification.
> Just an FYI.

What lack of verification?  There's no reason verification can't be
done via UDP as well.  Either validate the login once and pass them
a token which is sent in every successive packet, or send the login
info in each packet.

> CWOP folks connect, log on, send their packet, and disconnect.  True,
> there is more overhead but it works and reduces potential abuse issues.

Have there been substantial abuses?  I've not heard of any, even
with the simplistic validation scheme we use.