[aprssig] Ham uses for a 1.2m Ku-band dish?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Jun 17 20:18:00 UTC 2008

Scott Miller wrote:
> We're shutting down an office and there's a surplus 1.2 meter Ku-band
> HughesNet dish on the roof.  Is there anything interesting that can be
> done with it in the ham world that'd justify breaking out the rappelling
> gear to take it down?  Not that I've ever really needed a good reason to
> acquire radio gear and/or rappel down buildings...
> Scott
> N1VG

It would make a seriously long-range WiFi antenna.    Put a waveguide
"Cantenna" or a *Hawking **HWUG1 USB WiFi* "dongle" at it's focus.  The
HWUG1  (details at
is a very useful gadget for these kinds of applications.

1)     It comes with a half-wave "rubber duck" whip that is removable,
revealing a reverse-polarity SMA jack that lets you easily connect
external gain antennas.

2)     Since the device is a USB-connected external radio, you can
locate the transceiver at the antenna and connect it with just a
few-inches-long cable pigtail, and run a USB cable back to the PC. Saves
serious coax loss at 2.4 GHz.

3)     The device is so small and lightweight that you can Velcro it to
the back of antennas for quick lashups.

4)     The supporting control software produces an actual real-time
analog RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator - i.e. "S-meter")
display calibrated in actual dBM received, instead of the usual crude
cellphone-style 5-bar signal indicator that lags far behind actual
signal changes.  Makes it a LOT easier to aim, tweak and peak
directional antennas.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map

JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide