[aprssig] simple and cheap digapeater?

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Thu May 8 21:04:55 UTC 2008

Herb KB7UVC wrote:
> Your mobile
> should be using a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 just
> make sure the first hop is a WIDE1-1 your second hop could go as
> high as a WIDE3-3 since you are in a sparsely located area of our
> NW APRS network.

But even from very remote areas, WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 is a far better routine
mobile path for courtesy in our North American VHF network than is
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 (or worse).

If you're not using WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 (or less) mobile, please give it a whirl
to help all of us hoping to share the VHF frequency with you.

WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 produces two digi hops in all directions.  WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
produces three digi hops in all directions, almost always more than is
needed or helpful, especially when the mobile station is set for frequent

73, Cap KE6AFE

P.S.  Darn Kenwoods that accept shorthand of "W1,W2" are a big problem in
this regard.  In those radios the user must type out the whole path setting
of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 .  Setting a path of "W1,W2" in the Kenwoods
unfortunately produces the "unfriendly excess QRM" path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.